Character Development Exercise…
The following are partial (censored) excerpts of Blue Lines protagonists KYW’s character Development Worksheet(s).
* Given Name:
Key, Key-Key, Keep (Renee calls her that, because it is easier than incorrectly pronouncing her name), Love (well only Blue calls her that).
– gender Female
– age 18 years old
– height 5”8’
– weight 115lbs
– hair color/style long shoulder length hair usually out and seldom in braids
– eye color Brown
– makeup rarely
– clothing style usually sweats, since she is at school, or a hoodie and jeans.
* Race/ethnicity: Black/Filipino American
Make sure to keep in mind:
– How did your character get here from there? She had shipped her belongings and school supplies the same day that she flew into North Carolina. She packed enough belongings to hold her over until her boxes arrived.
– What was their life like before the story began? She had no complaints until her grandfather fell sick, and she spent most of her time tending to him. She had previously not had a family member deathly ill or sick, therefore she was very saddened by the cancer that had spread through and racked his body. She was told that death was imminent and spent every moment that she could by his bedside. She considered delaying her entrance her freshman year, or going to a community college to stay in proximity to him and her family.